Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas that has no odor or color. But it is very dangerous. It can cause sudden illness and death. CO is found in combustion fumes, such as those made by cars and trucks, lanterns, stoves, gas ranges and heating systems. CO from these fumes can build up in places that don’t have a good flow of fresh air. You can be poisoned by breathing them in. The most common symptoms of CO poisoning are
- Chest pain
It is often hard to tell if someone has carbon monoxide\O poisoning, because the symptoms may be like those of other illnesses. People who are sleeping or intoxicated can die from CO poisoning before they have symptoms. A CO detector can warn you if you have high levels of CO in your home.
If you suspect that a person is suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, immediately move the person outside. There is no first aid technique you can use for victims of carbon monoxide poisoning other than to move them outside and away from the area of possible poisoning. Call 9-1-1 after moving the victim to fresh air.
We also offer a free certificate of completion. To receive the certificate you must pass a 50-question test with a score of 70 or higher. Check our Basic First Aid Certificate of Completion page for more information.